Friday, 10 July 2015

Sibella Cardigan



It took me a bit longer to get back to the blog than I anticipated. The main reason is that I went to France for a wee road trip, which I just got back from. France was the holiday destination of my childhood, but this was the first time that I visited as an adult. I've seen new places, went to enormous cathedrals, saw many pro-cycling road races from close distance and ate my first crème brûlée. I might do a blog post about this trip later, but first, let me show a finished project.



At the beginning of this year, I set myself the goal to knit at least one sweater without colourwork. I know, that shouldn't be so hard. Looking at my projects on Ravelry however tells me that the last time I managed to do that was in the summer of 2013! That's two years ago! Sadly, it even was a cardigan that I didn't like upon finishing and have never worn since. Even thought sweater knitting is the thing I do most, apparently it is hard for me to step back from colourwork patterns. For the most part I am okay with this. Stranded knitting is my favourite technique and I wear my colourwork sweaters all the time, but I figured that mixing things up a bit (before I start my next stranded project) with something different is a good idea.Well, what better project to make a restart at this with than the Sibella cardigan?


The Sibella Cardigan is a pattern by Carrie Bostick Hog. It was first published a couple of years ago as a pullover, to which I immediately took a liking. Over the years it went in and out of my queue a couple of times. In July last year, both the cardigan and the pullover were published as part of the Madder Anthology Book One. I picked the cardigan because I liked it slightly better than the pullover, and I think my wardrobe is more in need of a cardigan rather than a pullover at the moment.


I used yarn that has been sitting in my stash for a long time, but it is definitely an (old) favourite of mine: Drops Alpaca. When I just started knitting I used this yarn quite a lot. Affordability and the enormous range if colours play no small part in it's popularity. I choose a denim(ish) blue, with flecks of red and white spun in. Blue is one of my most worn colours, so I am sure this one will get into regular rotation come autumn. 

This is my second blue, lace-yoked cardigan, the first one made from pattern 88-17 by DROPS design, in another colourway of Drops Alpaca. Though I wear most of my knitted garments regularly,  I do not think I've worn any of them as much as my first blue cardigan. The trouble is that it's starting to show some wear, especially around the elbows. That's why I am happy to have a new one in a slightly different pattern, which I hope to wear just as often.

See? This one doesn't have elbows that are worn thin!
Knitting and finishing the cardigan took me less time than I anticipated. I knitted it while I was emerged in uni work, and had little time for knitting. The combination of a clear well written pattern, straight forward knitting, a well loved yarn and the prospect of a new versatile cardigan did wonders for my knitting speed. The only modification I made was to knit the sleeves in the round instead of flat. I'm really happy with the fit of the pattern, the result is exactly how I pictured it when I started it.

Wishing all of you a great weekend!

xxx
Nisse




4 comments :

  1. Beautiful! It is nice to have cardigans with intact elbows, isn't it? Glad you ended up with a sweater you love, and that you'll wear a lot. It's such a great pattern, and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Nelson.
    Goed gedaan die vakantie,is weer eens wat anders dan de hele week met studie bezig te zijn.
    Mooi vest gebreid.
    Nu nog een laatste ruk voor de lange vakantie.
    De groeten aan iedereen.
    Daaaag.

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! Supper pretty! And such a nice shade of blue. The lace is not really visible in the pictures, but I am sure it is lovely as well. Did you use Gro grain ribbons to strengthen the buttons side?

    Yay for intact elbows! For those of use who have elbows, it seems a must to properly cover them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kat It sure is. Thanks! It's already seeing quite some service!

    @Paul Dank je! Ja, vakantie is echt ontzettend welkom :)

    @Sandra
    Thank you! I didn't, I've never strengthened the button band so far. Would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete